Thursday, September 10, 2009

How to Block A Quilt Block

I was working on my blocks for the shop hop and noticed that a number of them were not square. I know that's hard to believe, but it did happen! :-) I remembered reading something at some time about blocking your quilt blocks and I decided to try it. I have a pressing board on my table and I took a piece of muslin and drew a square on it to the size of the square that I needed. I used a Sharpie marker, so that it would not run when I did my blocking. I pinned the muslin to my pressing board.

I laid my block on top to see how far it was off.

I then starting pinning my block to the lines of the square that I had drawn. I put the pins very close, so that I have a smooth edge when I'm finished. Be sure to use glass head pins that won't melt from the iron. They also need to be rust proof.

You will notice that I had a little fullness in the lower left hand corner. It is amazing, but it disappears when I block it.

To do the blocking process, I use a spray bottle with water and spritz the block, especially the places with the fullness. I then use a steam iron and go up and down on it. I am holding the weight of the iron. Do not iron the block, just the up and down movement. Then I let the block thoroughly dry.
When it is dry, this is how it looks still pinned fast to my board. See, the fullness is gone!


Voila! The finished block, ready to be sewn into my quilt.

I remember reading that you can also block a quilt that has been quilted, by pinning it into a carpet and using a steam iron over it and then letting it dry. I have not tried this yet, but you never know!

Happy Sewing!

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great tip Mom! I will definitely try it next time I need to square up a block or a quilt!

    Have a fun weekend!

    Hugs,
    Zlaty :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a good tip....thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing the info and your photos! It will come in handy! 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun tip for just a quilt block. The same applies when longarming as I square the quilt I use a steam from the iron to help. A friend of mine is a certified judge and appraiser for quilts...yes...same applies for blocking a large quilt on carpet...damp quilt and fans to circulate the air. I'd been advised any quilt that goes into a show mush be blocked....I'm talking "big major shows" that count most!

    ReplyDelete