Thursday, July 15, 2010

Bonnie K. Hunter Fan

I am a huge Bonnie K. Hunter fan! A friend of mine introduced me to her website a few years ago and my view of quilts has never been the same. I have always loved scrap quilts, but I mainly did coordinated quilts or coordinated scrappy quilts. Bonnie has taught me that anything goes and makes the quilt even better! By mixing so many fabrics, it adds more interest, texture, light and shading. She has a fabulous website which you can check out here! She has many free patterns and tips and techniques available on her site. Her 2 books are great! They are Scraps & Shirtails and Adventures with Leaders & Enders! I own both and really love them!

Here are some of the quilts that I have in various stages that are from her patterns:

This is the first Bonnie Hunter quilt that I made. It was called Orange Crush Mystery. If you join the quiltville yahoo group you will be notified of any mysteries that Bonnie will be doing. One of the great things about doing her mysteries and using her colors, you get to play with colors that you would not normally use.

The second one was Double Delight Mystery. I did not use the same colors this time, but had so much fun doing it. I still need to finish the border on it. I just laid it along side of the center so that you can get an idea of how it will look when it is finished.


This was the Christmas Lights Mystery featured in Quiltmaker magazine. I still need to put the borders on it. The green fabric used in the stars was a reproduction Christmas print which I always wanted to use and I thought this would be the perfect project for it.

This is Jared Takes a Wife. I only have some blocks made so far. It will be a small wall hanging with 9 blocks.

This is from the pattern Sister's Choice. I had great fun using an embroidery design in the center and mixing reproduction prints with batiks. Years ago, I never would have done that, but I love it!

This is called Bow-Dacious from Bonnie's Adventures with Leaders & Enders Book! I love bowties and had to make at least a small wall hanging. Of course it needs to be quilted yet. I'm a little slow on finishing some things, which you may have noticed. However I enjoy them just the same! This sample will be hanging in my booth at Hershey.

My friend Melissa made this sample Crabapples from Adventures with Leaders & Enders and it will also be at my booth. I love the mix of fall colors and the trees in the corners!

As you can see, I am a little addicted to Bonnie's patterns! :-)
Bonnie is teaching at the Quilt Odyssey Show in Hershey PA which runs July 22-25, 2010. I would be thrilled to see her there. I can't take her class, but maybe I will be lucky to see her in the vendor marketplace.

If you read this Bonnie, thank you for your inspiration, patterns and love of antique quilts. You have taught me to have even more fun with making my quilts!

Happy Sewing,
Jean

2 comments:

  1. That is a wonderful post, full of very inspiring quilts!

    I love the Orange crush and your Sister's choice quilt! The embroidery goes perfectly with the quilt and I like the lace, too!

    I hope you get to meet Bonnie!

    Happy sewing

    Zlaty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! I am SO honored! Thank you very much for the shout-out..your quilts turned out just terrific! Love your color choices, too!

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete