Saturday, March 7, 2015

China Silk Fan Quilt

Quite a number of years ago, my hubby took a business trip to China.  My one request was for him to bring me back some silk for a quilt.  It apparently was not an easy task, but he was finally able to find a shop and brought back a number of 1/4 yard pieces.

I decided that I would really like to use all of them in one quilt, even though I was not sure if they would work together.  This was before my scrappy quilt days!  :-)  I knew that I wanted to make fan blocks from them.  I needed to decide the best way to stabilize the silk in order to sew my blocks.  The silks were very lightweight, not like a mid to heavyweight brocade.  I debated on fusing a lightweight interfacing to them, but decided that I would paper foundation piece the fan part and that way the paper would stabilize them.




I have had the fan part of the block finished for years, but did not do the curved bottom of the fan until this past year.  My goal was to finally finish this project.  I succeeded in finishing the quilt top this past summer, but have not gotten around to quilting it yet.  Other projects have taken precedence.   Hopefully I will quilt it this summer.

I thought that I would share a picture of it now with you, since I am not sure when it will be totally finished.  I hope you like it!


Happy Sewing,
Jean

No comments:

Post a Comment