Thursday, March 19, 2015

Mariner Compass

Today I had a chance to attend a class in which we were making a Mariner Compass.  It has been a long time since I was able to take a class and it was wonderful!  The class was taught by Betty Neff who was also the designer of this pattern.  She was great!  She shared many tips and ideas that not only helped with her pattern, but will definitely help with future projects.    It was also great to spend the day with some friends and just have a relaxing day.  The class was held at a friend's house, so warm and inviting.  Thank you Pat for an awesome day!



The mariner compass was made using paper foundation piecing.  The top photo shows what I accomplished today along with an image from EQ7 showing how my finished block should look.  The fabric above my pieced parts is the floral for the background.   The lower photo is the Mariner Compass pattern by Betty Neff from the Pennsylvania Quilter.  If you would like to see more of Betty's designs, you may check them here.

I wanted to use fabrics that I had in my stash and I remembered this blue and yellow combination from Marcus Brothers called Subtle Skies.  I loved those and thought they would be perfect for this time of year.  I am so ready for Spring, and these definitely help bring a Spring feeling inside!  I originally thought that I would use a light yellow gold background including the background behind the points.  Over all it would have been a very soft blended palette.  My hubby thought it needed a little zing, perhaps just in back of the points.  So I searched my stash for a blue that I thought would work.  I was happy that I took his advice.  I think it really makes my fabrics pop!  I only have fat quarters of all of the prints, so I really needed to make this work.  I decided to shrink the pattern to 70%.  It should be about 15 1/2" finished instead of 22".  That was the only way that I would have enough for the background.  I'm not sure what I am doing for the border at this point, but I am sure that it will evolve as I go along.

I found doing the pattern using foundation paper piecing quite enjoyable and definitely an easier way to do this particular design.  Probably close to 40 years ago, I made one for my hubby.  I remember using a pattern from Quilter's Newsletter and doing all of the piecing by hand.  I was pretty much a beginner quilter then, but figured I would tackle it.  I've come a long way baby!

My hubby's Mariner Compass.
Another thing that I enjoyed today was sewing with my Singer Featherweight.  It sews such a wonderful straight stitch and I think it helps make me feel even more relaxed and to just enjoy the process.  Betty also sells featherweights and parts and can help you with any questions you may have in regards to this wonderful little machine.  I was fortunate enough to get a new LED light bulb for it.  What a difference.  So much light!   Love it!


Here's wishing you some wonderful relaxing sew filled days!

Happy Sewing,
Jean

2 comments: